Athlete of the Year nominations can be made by any person attending or participating in the 2016 Georgia State Games. The nominee must be an athlete participating in the 2016 Games. The winners, one male and one female will be announced in August. Potential recipients for this award must show outstanding achievement and good sportsmanship both on and off the field of play by embodying what the Georgia State Games represent, living a healthy lifestyle through participation in sports. The final selection will be based on the following criteria: participation in the Georgia State Games, attitude and effort, sportsmanship, overall athletic achievement, special attributes or circumstances, athlete’s motivation/ reason for being involved in sports and why the athlete represents the spirit of amateur athletics and the State Games movement.
GOLDEN ATHLETE AWARD
Award recipients are announced to media outlets throughout the state. Recognition awards are mailed to all individual winners from the Georgia State Games office. A listing of each year’s recipients is included in the next year’s published materials. In an individual sport, the judging is based solely on the behavior of the athlete. In a team sport, the judging is based upon an evaluation of the coach, athletes, and team parents.
Elements Of Encouraged Behavior At The Georgia State Games:
- Understand the rules of the Georgia State Games and your sport. Comply with the rules’ intent as well as the letter of the rule.
- Always recognize a teammate’s or opponent’s exceptional play. This reflects your understanding and appreciation of quality in your sport.
- Accept and abide by the decisions of all game officials. Show your appreciation for the officials and medical staff who have volunteered their time at the Georgia State Games to provide you with a unique opportunity to compete.
- Refrain from the use of alcohol, tobacco AND illegal drugs.
- Respect your coaches who are volunteering their time to provide you with their expertise. Abide by their decisions regarding playing time and other game related matters.
- Openly display respect for your opponent at all times.
- Be a positive role model for the sport, school and community that you represent.
- Resolve any conflicts on and off the field of play without resorting to hostility or violence.
- Treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, origin or ability.
- The unique format of the Georgia State Games brings high school rivals together as teammates. Accept your fellow team members for their love of the game and for their skill without pre-conceived notions based on past rivalries.
- Display pride in your actions at every opportunity on and off the field of play.
Elements Of Discouraged Behavior At The Georgia State Games:
- Use of profanity towards officials, coaches and players
- Rough play or playing with intent to injure
- Use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs
- Berating or taunting a coach, player, official, or opponent
- Disrespectful celebrations
- Improper conduct toward an official, opponent, team member or spectator
- Displays of temper with an official’s call
- Use of obscene gestures
- Unreasonable number of game ejections or major penalties
- Blatant violation of competition or Georgia State Games regulations
- Refusing to shake hands or acknowledge your opponent at end of the game
- Confronting coaches at the end of a contest in regarding to playing time or game decisions
- Refusing to play a contest because your team is out of medal contention
- Abusive verbal or physical behavior on the part of a player’s parent(s) or friend(s) toward a coach or official
- False representation of eligibility requirements including age, residence and grade